During the Festival of the Cranes Friends Dinner, Friends was pleased to announce the recipients of the 2019 Martha Hatch Award: Lise Spargo and JR Seeger. This award is given annually to a person (or persons) who exemplifies the characteristics of the ideal volunteer and who has made outstanding contributions to Friends and the refuge. The award is named in honor of Martha Hatch, who was Friends first newsletter editor and gave six years of dedicated service.
2020 update: Unfortunately, we have some difficult news to share. In light of recent announcements by Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, which indicate that COVID-19 could have a resurgence in the fall and could also very likely develop into a seasonal illness, the Executive Board of Friends of Bosque del Apache has made the very difficult decision to cancel the Festival of the Cranes for 2020. Due to this, we will begin nominations for the Martha Hatch Award again in 2021.
The original language establishing the Martha Hatch Award states:
“This Award is given to the person who best exhibits the characteristics of an ideal volunteer and who has made outstanding volunteer contributions to the Friends and the Refuge. The Award is named after Martha Hatch, who was the Friends first newsletter editor, and who gave 6 years of dedicated service in that capacity.”
Among the guidelines that the Board or Selection Committee will follow in evaluating nominees for the Award are the following:
1. A Nominee must be a current member of the Friends.
2. Paid staff of the Friends or the Refuge are not eligible.
3. A Nominee may not have previously received the Martha Hatch Award (see list
4. Volunteer contributions in prior years will be considered; more recent activities may be
given additional weight.
5. Service to the Friends in an official capacity (past Board Member, committee member, or other appointed or otherwise designated capacity) will be considered.
6. Volunteer service on the Refuge in a capacity not administered by the Friends, or with the Festival of the Cranes may be considered.
7. Financial contributions and “Sustaining Friends Membership” will be considered.
8. Participation in service clubs, civic activities, etc., unless participating as a representative of the Friends, will not be considered.
Cheryl Learn Hill
Jim & Penny Lommen
Dwayne & Marj Longenbaugh
Lise Spargo and JR Seeger