Photo by Garald Guss
Join Friends of Bosque del Apache & Holly Merker for an exciting
Ornitherapy Workshop Session October 14, 15, or 16!
Join Friends of Bosque del Apache for a two-hour outdoor Ornitherapy workshop run by author and birding expert Holly Merker. Learn how birds and nature outside your door can benefit you in mind, body, and spirit!
When: Six opportunities to join this workshop: Thursday Oct 14, Friday Oct 15, or Saturday Oct 16, at 8-10 am or 4:30-6:30pm. Ten slots per session; Register now to reserve the session that best fits your schedule!
Where: Various public trails at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, famous for its 407 species of birds. While content and exercises will be roughly the same in every workshop session, the venue will change. We’ll enjoy many trails around the refuge: Desert Arboretum, John P Taylor Trail, Rio Viejo Trail, etc.
Who: Everyone! You don’t need any birding knowledge to enjoy or benefit from this workshop. Each session of this workshop will be slow-paced and accessible for all mobility levels. For maximum participant benefit and also safety, each workshop session is limited to ten participants.
Cost: $40 per person per session, with journal included. Each session is limited to ten participants.
What to bring/wear: Bring Binoculars, your mask, water, mosquito repellent, and your own car. Wear comfortable walking shoes and layers of clothing to be comfortable in changing temperatures. Bring a pen, and Holly will furnish every participant with an ornitherapy journal for capturing notes and reflections.
Due to current Covid restrictions, there will be only ten attendees per session and they will socially distance, and may be asked to wear a mask.
Details of each two-hour workshop:
· Opening presentation explaining the concept of Ornitherapy, and how and why birds and nature help promote overall wellbeing
· Simple mindfulness exercises to heighten overall sensory awareness while tuning into the birds and natural world surrounding us
· Focused Ornitherapy Explorations- We’ll use techniques and prompts in a gently guided walk, enhancing ID skills and focused on surrounding birdlife and promoting quality versus quantity of experience
· Journaling practice – participants will use their Ornitherapy Journals (provided with program) to increase observation and awareness
· Debriefing our experiences in a group sharing exercise to inspire each other through our collective observations.
· Enjoy a reprieve from life stressors and pressures
· Gain enhanced sensory awareness (sight, sound, smell, touch)
· Better understand birdlife with simple tools building a solid foundation of identification skills
· Sharpen your observation skills
· Enhance your identification skills, while building a stronger foundation for overall bird ID
· Increase self-reflection through birds and nature
If interested, you may order the Ornitherapy book in advance through Amazon or Crossleybooks.com at https://crossleybooks.com/book/ornitherapy/
We will also have a limited supply of books for sale in the Bosque Nature Store during the event, and at the workshop sessions. Author Holly Merker will be happy to sign and personalize your books for you!